Monday, March 28, 2011

Eco-Monday: Putting the Glam in Recyclables

From this... 
     

to That.



Hello again from the intern! As any normal child, my desire to recycle came from a need to save the animals after I watched the movie “Happy Feet”. Just out of pure interest I “googled” 'facts about aluminum drink cans' today and stumbled across the Can Manufacturers Institute. The fact that made me realize just how important throwing my coke can in the recycling bin stated, “For each pound of aluminum recovered, Americans save the energy resources needed to generate about 7.5 kilowatt-hours of electricity" If you are unfamiliar with kilowatt-hours (as I was), this equates to the amount of light Pittsburgh uses....over a 6 year period!!! So now that we all know just how important recycling these small cans is, I present a crafty solution. 

As a college student I am always on a tight budget and yet I'm constantly searching for a piece of jewelry that will spice up my outfit. I tried my hand once as designing my own necklaces but that never seemed to turn out well. My solution to this dilemma later came when a friend of mine discovered Etsy while preparing for her wedding last November. I discovered so many great vendors that re-use everyday products to create gorgeous one-of-a-kind pieces. The vendor I'm currently hooked on is JMP DesignsThis vendor re-uses the drink cans her family consumes in order to create adorable and trendy pieces of jewelry.  In reading her bio I was happy to discover that her goal was to make the world a little greener with style,” a statement that any green goddess can relate to.

So as the season moves on and the bright fun colors of spring make it back into your wardrobe, I suggest checking out this vendor and realizing the amazing impact that buying an adorable new necklace can make. 

Enjoy the week!

2 comments:

  1. check out the post right here Thank you for every other excellent article. check out this site Where else may just anybody get that type of info in such a perfect approach of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, check out your URL and I am on the look for such info. check over here

    ReplyDelete